Wednesday 20 August 2014

Ambleside (GridPP33)

GridPP33 was hosted at the University of Cumbria campus in Ambleside. The weather was glorious up to the Wednesday, and then again on the Friday. We had an afternoon to explore on the Thursday, where it chucked it down all day (until about 7pm ready for the conference dinner).

Good job I postponed tea and went for a quick wander on Wednesday evening, as the sun was going down.

Loughrigg Fell

Looking between Loughrigg and Fairfield Horseshoe at the Pikes
Closeup of the Pikes
Loughrigg, Pikes and Fairfield Horseshoe as the sun sets lower



Streaks of cloud over Fairfield Horseshoe as the sun sets

I stupidly risked going out on the Thursday afternoon, as it appeared to have cleared up a bit. This lasted until I got up in to the hills, when it started up again with a complete washout (rivers of muddy water running down the hills).

Fairfield Horseshoe almost invisible below the constant clouds

A quick snapshot looking over Windermere from near Todd Crag before the rain started lashing down again.

Windermere disappearing behind the clouds and rain

And I'd managed to stay nearly dry until this point!

I had to sit in my room with my laptop on my legs to try and dry my poor trousers before the dinner!

Late evening by Waterhead

No comments:

Post a Comment